Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Licensing and Commissions / Tax and Self Assesment



Limits to a license. 

- Use
-Area
-Duration
-Exclusivity 


Pricing Workshop

We were given the task of estimating the following Commissions prices :

- Magazine Illustration- One month  , Full Page, National Distribution. 
- Coffee Shop Mural - One place Wall mural .
- Large Company Financial Papers- 1 Year,  6-7 weeks work . 
- Guardian Illustrations - 1 week , x4 Quarter Pages. 
- Silk Screen- Limited Edition with £ 250 going to charity. 

We were then told the real prices for these jobs and needless to say I was very surprised. I wasn't expecting the prices of some of the jobs and it made me very hopeful if not a little daunted. 


Relicensing -  amount raises as you go into further territories such as US, Australia etc. 

Duration - paid more for longer durations. 

Exclusivity- Can sell copyright and buy rights to own an image. 

Fees 


Fees vary according to:
- The use of the image.
- The amount of work involved.
- The Illustrators reputation.
- How tight the deadline is .
- The attractiveness of the job.

We were then given a rough guide to pricing which I personally found very helpful because it gives us a rough idea of what we should be earning for jobs and which ones might bring in more money depending on the company, duration and your own skill and reputation.


After this guide we talked about Re use Fees, Rejection Fees, Cancelling, Rights Grabs and Damage.

This workshop proved to be really really useful and really helped me understand how I can make the most out of commissions if i know what I'm doing .
By this point I was already considering an Agency but by the end of this workshop I was certain this was the way to go for me as I am not the best at business or financial just yet and would appreciate having the kind of stability as agency gives  you until I feel that I am ready to try going Freelance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Tax and Self Assessment 



This is a very important factor in your work , particularly for a freelance Illustrator .

- I need to keep a record of receipts and online statements.
  - as well as costs such as travel costs to work and phone bills.

- Get in touch with the Tax Office.

-  Cash Books and Petty Cash and Small Transactions , Receipts

- Keep Cash Records.

- Keep everything to do with your business  such as receipts and payments safe.

- Hire an accountant .

- Tax returns .

- You can be either Full time or Part time with freelance.

No comments:

Post a Comment