Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Researching Promotional Ideas- How other artists promote themselves.

As there are a multitude of ways for me to promote myself I began to explore how some artists have decided to do the same. looking for inspiration and ideas that I can then modify for my own promotional items.

I began to look at sites and blogs which had a range of different ideas of different illustrators promotional material , look at these really helped me to find inspiration for my own items.

Some Blogs like  Tea and Crayons [1]  had really useful material and images to showcase how some artists have came up with some simple and extremely effective  ideas for self promotion  .
I had been considering the fact that  postcards could potentially be a very good item for me as my work lends itself  well to small items  and they would be a effective tool for both agencies and for conventions . I found another useful site based on illustrators postcards that they have used as promotional material called Illopromo [2] , I enjoyed looking through these to see how they differ depending on the skill and style of an artist. some are simple and effective to show the illustrators abilities and others are more zany and eye catching for the client to look at and leave and impression. both methods seem to work well  and it all depends  on the clients taste  because these will differ.

I found Pinterest Invaluable for looking at promotional material and how to present your items.
from my pinterest board [3] for this module , you can see that there were many different ideas that I was considering for my Promotional item  such as tickets and ballots and tote bags which I never got to really explore but it give me a few ideas for other future items and how to be creative about my work .

I also explored some different promotional ideas which where a little more out of the box.
one of these was a really interesting idea for a digital artist which was to use video and to use time lapse to show the process of the illustrator on their digital platform  , a good example of this was the "run piano" illustration time lapse video:





I thought this was a really interesting and a very effective way to show clients how you work and gives them a small taster of your work . It works very well and it is creative and simple and a really good way of promoting yourself and getting examples of your work out there .


other ideas are drawing nights,  putting on a show or gallery viewings of your work .



No comments:

Post a Comment