Friday, 28 March 2014

Ideas for Potential Clients , Patheways and Promotional items

Before going the Book fair , I wanted to look at possible publishers for Graphic Novels that I could talk to and show my portfolio to .

Knockabout Comics [5]


One of the more well known publishers, Knockabout is one I remember fondly from my teens. Reading Alan Moore's Comics and thinking that someday I would be able to publish comics with them .
When I heard that they were going to The London Book Fair, I saw this as an opportunity I couldn't pass up .
Knockabout tend to specialise in publishing and distributing underground and alternative comic books, therefore this seems like the best place to ask about my own work and If i can, I would like to show them some of my work and get some advice about what I should consider doing with my comic in order to get it published by a publisher of graphic novels.
As knock about already have a title with Alan Moore, "The league of Extraordinary Gentleman " which explores characters from victorian fiction, I doubt they would want another title based on lesser known figures from folklore. But I want to try anyway and see what they think of my ideas and maybe give me advise as to how to better it so that its of a standard to be published . 


SelfMadeHero [6]

Self made hero are a Uk based Graphic Novel and Manga Publishing company  who specialise in adapting  works of literature such as Shakespeare, Poe and Arthur Conan Doyle.
These are another recognisable Publishing Company for me , I have read some of their works and really enjoy them and I believe I would really enjoy working for them . I want to look for them at the book fair and ask them a few questions about work and submissions and show them some of my portfolio  work to someone if they are available.
In terms of my Final major project, they might be interested in its concept and style and I have a good chance of getting something from this company as my style lends well to their work and I am more than happy to work on the work they produce.
I will leave my card with them and a few bits of promotional material and talk to them about my work to gain some advice . I  hope to leave a professional impression on them by showing my confidence in my work and how eager I am to work for them .


As well as looking into publishers, I also want to explore the possibility of an Illustration Agency. 
Sam from Eye Candy Illustration Agency [7] came in to talk to us about her agency and gave us all the opportunity to show her our portfolios . I found this very helpful and made me intrigued into looking into possible agencies which would cater to my work .
Sam seemed pleased my all our portfolios and mentioned  to me that I need more of my most recent work in there because it is the stuff that looks most established and more like me, I have now updated my Portfolio to cater this .
I found Sam’s talk very interesting and helpful as It gave me a little idea as to how an agency works and what they like to see as well as trending illustration forms and submission processes. I also found it really helpful that she looked through my portfolio and helped me see that there is still alot to be worked on.

I have been looking into some agencies as I like the idea of entering one.  I would rather have somewhere more stable than freelance  and I am happy to do commissions and work for others and have no objection to going down a more commercial route until I have some experience in the field of illustration .

Eye Candy is a very interesting agency , and one I would maybe be interested in submitting a portfolio to . I found that while Sam was talking, I found the stability of an agency sounded more appealing to me, I am not great with financial details and since i have very little experience in the field of work just yet, I would like to have the option of being part of an agency. where I do commissions for advertising, magazines and books to name a few.
By looking at some of the resident Illustrators work that Sam brought in , I could see that I need to really work on my own personal practise and I was very happy and interested in what she was saying as she talked about illustrators and their work and this seemed to give me alot of confidence in my own work .

as well as Eye candy, I have found some agencies which might suit my Comic/ concept needs.

Folio Illustration Agency [8]  is definitely a possibility. From what I can  see on the website, they represent a varied range of Illustrators and artists with a vast amount of different styles , techniques and genres, from children's books to traditional/ vintage advertising posters.
A few of these have caught my eye, as I looked through the artist's gallery I was able to spot a few Comic Book Artists and Concept artists and this to me sounds promising.
Looking through the Comic and concept pages, I was able to see a lot of different artists work and from there I was able to decide that I am definitely would consider sending my work to this Agency . Not only is it an interesting collective of artists and clients. the fact that they have specialised in two of my pathways makes this agency very promising .

I have also taken a look at some others such as Illustration Web [9] and Action Artists [10] but i will need to look into these a little more closely as the end of term approaches . 


 
I am also going to chase up some graphic novel companies at the london book fair such as knock about comics to get some pointers on submissions and maybe show my portfolio. I will be going to ELCAF in June where I will hopefully be able to showcase my Comic and will be promoting my work at both events via postcards, business cards and the zine.
During the Easter break  and Summer I will also be exploring opportunities closer to home such as Northern Irish film industry production and concept opportunities as well as a growing comic scene and artist centre in major cities such as Belfast, Derry and Dublin.
I have been in touch with more illustrators from my authorship module last year. Keeping in touch with Northern Irish Comic Artist and Storyboard artist William Simpson and getting in touch with one of my favourite web comic creators illustrator / animator Sydney Padua and got to ask her a few questions about her work and process. 



My Promotional Items. 

-Business Cards.
-Post cards
-Posters and Zine 
-Stickers
- Key rings and Bookmarks


Having to go out into the industry with products which will help promote myself .

Business cards 

Business cards are the perfect promotional item as they can be distributed to clients and kept for a later date when your services are needed. I designed 5 different business cards, going for three options due to time and pricing. I got the cards printed from Moo.com  because a classmate had gotten some cards made from there and they looked really professional. I had a little trouble with the site as I had made 5 custom designs for my cards and the site would let me change the front image but not the backs so I had to narrow my card designs , deciding to go for 3 separate packs and using the other 2 options as Postcards.
I felt that two of the cards should reflect my comic and character design aspect of my work . so I decided early on the I would create two designs which involved some of my characters from my final major project work .
The other card was to show my illustration/ concept art side to my work and I went for an image I thought really looked well and would demonstrate my some of my digital painting skills. 




Postcards. 


I always enjoy getting postcards and handouts from illustrators as it makes an interesting showcase of their work and also makes a nice small piece of artwork from them that you can keep.
I had been experimenting with ways of keeping a limited palette for a Risograph print but ended up liking them as smaller pieces and decided to use them as postcards.
I think they look very well in that format and they are very eye catching and a really good sample of my work .
I got two designs printed from Moo.com and they look very well and should be very effective with they're bold imagery and colours.

Stickers. 


As I do make a lot of Fanart and pieces that lend themselves well to smaller products and i was thinking about creating some stickers of my character designs and smaller images so that I could showcase my work this way at conventions and other functions. I have had an idea for stickers for a while now and decided to get them printed out from Moo as a small sticker book for now so that i can take this to conventions and other Fairs.


Bookmarks and Key rings


Just like the stickers, these items would be a great way of promoting myself at conventions and less formal functions .
I decided to try to do a mock up of a bookmark of one of my characters from my Children's book from 2nd year to see would these work. they did so I will be getting these printed out at some point .
The keyrings also worked well. I used on of my sticker designs and one of my pirate images. 

I can now bring these to events to promote my work . 

Zine/ posters

One of my classmates asked me to do a zine around the theme of ‘retro’. I have created several images to go with this zine as well as a portrait image . Because I have a interest in history and period as well as genre fiction , i decided to do a few pieces based on these interests so I firstly create two images based on retro futurism , sort of “land of tomorrow “ images which look very well when put together and another image based on two of my favourite silent film era stars , buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin. 
I had originally wanted to do the futurism images as a set of posters to advertise myself but decided against this for now and decided to keep the for postcards and the zine 

No comments:

Post a Comment